I’ve created these instructions (below) to explain how it’s possible to use the ScienceDirect free iPad app at the University of Lincoln. Possible, but not easy.
To be honest, I can’t see many people wanting to do this. It makes a mockery of the supposed ease/convenience of using mobile applications for accessing scholarly publications.
If the mobile app offered an institutional login option / WAYF (like the main ScienceDirect web interface does), none of the below would be necessary. I wonder why they don’t offer that option on the app? I know that not every country makes use of federated authentication, but it seems silly to block access to so many institutional users.
- Only do this if you really want to use the iPad app. Otherwise it’s not worth it.
- If your institutional email address is associated with an existing ScienceDirect profile, this process might break your existing profile. It might not, but I haven’t checked, and I’m offering no assurance that it won’t.
- The process relies on me making a manual change to your account. This isn’t an official Library-supported service, so if I’m not here, it might not be possible to set it up for you.
- Access only lasts for a year. You’ll probably need to request access again in a year’s time.
Still interested? Here are the instructions:
- Don’t log in to ScienceDirect via the Library website.
- Instead, go directly to www.sciencedirect.com/science/newregistration and register your first name, surname, University of Lincoln institutional email address (i.e. one ending in ‘@lincoln.ac.uk’), and a brand-new password for you to use with ScienceDirect. Make a note of these details because you’ll need them later.
- You’ll see a message telling you your registration was successful. Don’t log in yet. Instead, send me an email (email@example.com) asking me to associate your new profile with the University of Lincoln so that you can use the iPad app – let me know the institutional email address you used to register.
- I will create a ‘Registration ID’ associated with your institutional email address. You will receive an email from ScienceDirect, containing this temporary registration ID and a temporary password. The email will include instructions to go to www.sciencedirect.com/register and enter these temporary login details.
- Now log in with the email address and password that you created in step 2.
- You will see another confirmation message.
- Next, on your iPad, go to the App Store and install the free app “SciVerse ScienceDirect (institutional subscribers version)“.
- Launch the app. Enter the email address and password that you created in step 2, and your institutional email address a second time.
- You will be signed in to ScienceDirect and will be able to search, access, and save articles on the iPad. You’ll be sent one last email to complete the activation and confirm your access.